Monday, March 8, 2010

Places to buy paper dolls.

Monica asked about how to get the paper doll catalog I mentioned in my last post. I figured I'd make it a new post instead of a really long comment. It's just gonna be about Dover Publications & Paper Doll Review today, because it's really late. Maybe more another time.

You can sign up for a free Dover catalog at this site: http://www.doverpublications.com/family/catalog.html
However I don't see a box to check for paper dolls only... I know the Children's Book version has paper dolls, probably more than any other ones they put out.

You can also sign up for a free sampler that they send you every week. It doesn't always have paper dolls, but most of the time it does. That's at this link: http://www.doverpublications.com/sampler3/

I also highly recommend Paper Doll Review to buy both reproductions of older sets and new sets by current artists. Here's the link for that: http://www.paperdollreview.com/catalog/index.php
They have impressive quality standards. I bought some sets from a recent "Scratch-and-Dent" sale and I had to look really hard to find any damage. I wouldn't have even known if they hadn't told me. The prices were great though. I've bought from them several times. In my experience they're very professional, have good prices and ship out very quickly. Only once did I have a problem, a set I had ordered was not longer in print and they found out the same day I placed my order. I got an email the next morning explaining the situation and they offered me a similar book for the same cost. This wasn't their fault but they were fantastic about it.

I've bought from Dover directly before with mixed results. Half of the time they've been great, but once I got a badly printed set where the dolls were blurred and it was a pain to get it exchanged. Once years back I placed an order that they claimed the postal worker couldn't find my house, so they promised me credit instead of a refund. I never got that credit, I never got my money back. I was very disappointed, but I feel that the website hadn't been up long so maybe I was just unlucky.

Plus you can get most (possibly all, but I'm not 100% on that) Dover sets from Paper Doll Review anyway. I think for the same price too.

1 comment: